We pick you up from your hotel very early to travel by bus until Ollantaytambo where we stop for a break to buy last minute gear and personal items. Then we go by bus to Piskacucho (Km 82) to start our hike. After about 3 hours we arrive to the first Inca site, Patallaqta. Then we continue walking about 30 minutes until our lunch spot called Tarayoc. After a break we ascend about 2 hours toward our fist campsite called Huayllabamba village.
TRAIN STATION – PISKACUCHO : 3 hours approx.
DISTANCE PISKACUCHO – WAYLLABAMBA : 11 km
ESTIMATED WALKING TIME : 6 hours
PISKACUCHO : 2600 m.a.s.l.
PATALLAQTA : 2750 m.a.s.l.
HUAYLLABAMBA : 3000 m.a.s.l. / 9842 feet
We start the day with a healthy breakfast and providing the snacks for this hike, then we go up around 5 hours to the highest point of the Inca Trail, Warmihuañusca Pass (4215 m.a.s.l.).Then we descend about 1 ½ hour until Paqaymayu campsite, where we have lunch, dinner and a well-deserved rest.
DISTANCE HUAYLLABAMBA – WARMIHUAÑUSCA : 9 km
ESTIMATED WALKING TIME : 7 hours WARMIHUAÑUSCA : 215 m.a.s.l. / 13828 feet
PAQAYMAYU : 3600 m.a.s.l. / 11811 feet
After a delicious breakfast we walk about 1 hour until Runkuraqay archaeological site and then 1 hour more until Runruraqay Pass. Afterwards we descend about 1 hour to visit Sayaqmarka archaeological site and after 30 minutes we arrive to Chaquiqocha campsite, where we have lunch. After that we walk about 1 ½ hour until Phuyupatamarka Inka site that is at the same time the next Pass. Finally we descend 3 hours to Wiñaywayna Inka site, where we spend our last night on the Trail.
DISTANCE PAQAYMAYU – WIÑAYWAYNA : 16 km
ESTIMATED WALKING TIME : 7 hours
RUNRURAQAY : 3760 m.a.s.l. / 12336 feet
SAYAQMARKA : 3620 m.a.s.l. / 11876 feet
CHAQUICOCHA : 3500 m.a.s.l. / 11482 feet
PHUYUPATAMARKA : 3650 m.a.s.l. / 11975 feet
WIÑAYWAYNA : 2650 m.a.s.l. / 8694 feet
We wake up very early and after breakfast, we start our final leg of the trek and arrive in 2 hours to Inti Punku, where we have the first beautiful view of Machupicchu. After a short hike down to Machu Picchu, we register and then enjoy a 2 ½ guided tour of the sanctuary. Afterwards we have free time to explore by ourselves. And finally we take the bus down to Aguas Calientes town, from where we take the train to come back to Cusco.
DISTANCE PAQAYMAYU – WIÑAYWAYNA : 6 km
ESTIMATED WALKING TIME : 2 1/2 hours
AGUAS CALIENTES : 2040 m.a.s.l.
MACHUPICCHU : 2400 m.a.s.l.
HUAYNAPICCHU MOUNTAIN : 2700 m.a.s.l. (2 hours round way)
MACHUPICCHU MOUNTAIN : 3150 m.a.s.l. (3 hours round way
* Due to this treks popularity it is currently limited to 500 spaces per day. To ensure you get a space we recommend you book this trek up to 4 months in advance to secure your spot. Contact us today to reserve your space.
The Inca Trail to Machu Picchu Tour takes you high into the Andes mountains where you will trek for 4 days and sleep under the crisp Highland night. Experience the beautiful flora and fauna the Trail offers as well as iconic Inca sights like Inti Punku(The Sun Gate) and end the Inca Trail with a comprehensive tour of Machu Picchu.
Day 1: CUSCO – PISKACUCHO – WAYLLABAMBA Train station – Piskacucho : 3 hours approx. Distance Piskacucho – Wayllabamba : 11 km Estimated walking time : 6 hours Piskacucho : 2600 m.a.s.l. Patallaqta : 2750 m.a.s.l. Huayllabamba : 3000 m.a.s.l. / 9842 feet
Day 2: HUAYLLABAMBA – WARMIWAÑUSCA – PAQAYMAYU Distance Huayllabamba – Warmihuañusca : 9 km Estimated walking time : 7 hours Warmihuañusca : 215 m.a.s.l. / 13828 feet Paqaymayu : 3600 m.a.s.l. / 11811 feet
Day 3: PAQAYMAYU – CHAQ´ICOCHA – WIÑAYWAYNA EPistance Paqaymayu – Wiñaywayna : 16 km Estimated walking time : 7 hours Runruraqay : 3760 m.a.s.l. / 12336 feet Sayaqmarka : 3620 m.a.s.l. / 11876 feet Chaquicocha : 3500 m.a.s.l. / 11482 feet Phuyupatamarka : 3650 m.a.s.l. / 11975 feet Wiñaywayna : 2650 m.a.s.l. / 8694 feet
Day 4: WIÑAYWAYNA – MACHU PICCHU – CUSCO Distance paqaymayu – wiñaywayna : 6 km Estimated walking time : 2 1/2 hours Aguas calientes : 2040 m.a.s.l. Machupicchu : 2400 m.a.s.l. Huaynapicchu mountain : 2700 m.a.s.l. (2 hours round way) Machu Picchu mountain : 3150 m.a.s.l. (3 hours round way
• Private transport from your hotel.
• Transport from La Playa to the hydroelectric station (just for the equipment and everyone’s bag).
• Entrance fee to the National Park of Salkantay and Machu Picchu.
• Professional bilingual guide (Spanish and English).
• High quality camping equipment (Professional tent, Doite Cima 4, for 2 people) Mattresses, eating tent with table and chairs, bathroom tent).
• Meals during the excursion (breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks and tea time /optional vegetarians meals)
• Cook and assistant.
• Horseman and mules for up to 7kg of a customer’s personal equipment.
• Emergency horse.
• First aid kit and oxygen bottle
• Hot springs in Aguas Calientes (optional: 10 soles).
• Bus going downhill from Machu Picchu ruins to Aguas Calientes where the train station is situated; you can either pay the cost of US $10.00 for the bus service or walk back to Aguas Calientes which takes about an hour.
• Backpack with rain shelter.
• Sleeping bag.
• Clothing for warm and cold climate like a waterproof jacket.
• Rain pants and lightweight pants.
• Trekking shoes.
• Slippers or sandals (for showers and Hot Springs).
• Wool or synthetic socks and a sweater.
• Long- and short-sleeved polo’s/T-Shirts.
• Rain poncho and a hat.
• Bathing suit (for the Hot Springs in Aguas Calientes).
• Sunscreen, insect repellent, disinfecting alcohol and gel, water bottle and sterilizing tablets, Toiletries and toilet paper.
• Camera (wrapped in plastic bag).