We will leave Cusco at 5:30am and head towards Marcoccasa (3400m/11154f), passing the village Mollepata (3000m/9843f). In Marcoccasa we will meet the horsemen and the rest of the group and start our trek. We start hiking within a magnificent valley, surrounded by the most important snow-capped mountains such as the Humantay (5217m/17116f) and the Salkantay (6264m/20551f). Our campsite will be at Soraypampa (3700m/12139f).
After breakfast we will set off towards the Salkantay Pass (4600m/15092f) which offers an exceptional view of the snow-capped Salkantay (6264m). Thereafter we will descend again and will have time to enjoy the increasing vegetation of the ecosystem. Our campsite will be in Challway (3000m/9842f), amidst the tropical forest.
The third day is dedicated to the region’s flora and its plantations. After descending to a dimmed forest and enjoying the diversity of species of orchids, bromeliads and many other plants, we will see coffee-, cacao- and fruitplantations. Moreover we will have the pleasure to meet local families of Wiñaypoco (2650m/8694f) and La Playa (2100m/6890f). Our campsite will be in La Playa.
Early in the morning our trail leads us to the archaeological complex of Llactapata (2650m/8694f), located amidst an eclectic array of vegetation. From here we will have a beautiful view of the mountain Machu Picchu. Afterwards we will continue down to the hydroelectric station (1950m/6398f). Here we will take the train towards Aguas Calientes (2050m/6726f), where we will spend the night in a hostel.
We will leave our hotel after breakfast at 5:30am and head for Machu Picchu (2400m/7874f) by tourist bus. We will arrive at the citadel around 6:00am. After a guided tour around the archaeological site, including information about life and culture of the Incas, you will have enough time to enjoy Machu Picchu and Wayna Picchu (2750m/9022f) on your own. We will leave Aguas Calientes by train either at 2:55pm or at 6:45pm. Until then you will have time to have lunch in one of the nice restaurants. Moreover you can visit the hot springs in Aguas Calientes to relax a bit.
Contact us Today
Follow this andean route taken by the Incas on a beautiful adventure through Peru’s picturesque Vilcabamba range and admire the beautiful Salkantay Mountain as you continue on your way to Machu Picchu. The Salkantay trek is a great alternative to someone interested in taking the inca trail to Machu Picchu but wants to try something a bit more off the beaten path than the traditional inca trail. The Salkantay trek provides snow capped mountain views and a more “into nature” approach to trekking. This adventure tour will take place in the heart of the Vilcabamba range. lt takes you through astonishing landscapes dominated by snow-capped peaks, crossed by mighty rivers, and populated by quaint traditional villages, until you reach the mountaintop citadel of Machu Picchu itself.The Salkantay trek to Machu Picchu is challenging yet immensely rewarding and ranks high among Peru’s most spectacular trekking routes.
* Day 1: CUSCO – MOLLEPATA (MARCOCCASA) – SORAYPAMPA Distance: 4.97 miles (8 km) Minimum Altitude: 12,300 feet (3,750 m) Maximum Altitude: 13,710 feet (4,180 m) Approximate Time: 4-5 hours Difficulty: Moderate
* Day 2: SORAYPAMPA – SALKANTAY PASS – CHALLWAY Distance: 9.94 miles (16 km) Minimum Altitude: 9,676 feet (2,950 m) Maximum Altitude: 14,989 feet (4,570 m) Approximate Time: 7-9 hours Difficulty: Challenging
* Day 3: CHALLWAY – WIÑAYPOCO – LA PLAYA Minimum Altitude: 6,068 feet (1,850 m) Maximum Altitude: 9,676 feet (2,950 m) Approximate Time: 6-7 hours Dificulty: Moderate
* Day 4: LA PLAYA – LLACTAPATA – AGUAS CALIENTES Distance: 7.46 miles (12 km) Minimum Altitude: 6,068 feet (1,850 m) Maximum Altitude: 8,900 feet (2,700 m) Approximate Time: 4-6 hours Difficulty: Moderate to challenging
* Day 5: AGUAS CALIENTES – MACHU PICCHU – CUSCO After a refreshing night in your Aguas Calientes hotel we will head to start your Machu Picchu Tour. * Experienced travel advisers ready to assist you in booking the salkantay. * Daily departures and fully customizable Peru tours
Contact us Today
• Private transport from your hotel in Cusco to Mollepata (Marcoccasa community).
• Transport from La Playa to the hydroelectric station (just for the equipment and everyone’s bag).
• Tourist Train from the hydroelectric station to Aguas Calientes.
• Tourist Bus from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu.
• Tourist Train from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo and bus to Cusco.
• Hostel with Private Room and Bathroom in Aguas Calientes town (Machu Picchu, continental or similar).
• Entrance fee to the National Park of Salkantay and Machu Picchu.
• Professional bilingual guide (Spanish and English).
• High quality camping equipment (Professional tent, Doite Cima 4, for 2 people) Mattresses, eating tent with table and chairs, bathroom tent).
• Meals during the excursion (breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks and tea time /optional vegetarians meals)
• Cook and assistant.
• Horseman and mules for up to 7kg of a customer’s personal equipment.
• Emergency horse.
• First aid kit and oxygen bottle
• Breakfast at the first day and lunch on the last day in Aguas Calientes.
• Transport for clients from La Playa to Santa Teresa town.
• Hot springs in Santa Teresa (optional: 5 soles).
• Hot springs in Aguas Calientes (optional: 10 soles).
• Bus going downhill from Machu Picchu ruins to Aguas Calientes where the train station is situated; you can either pay the cost of US $10.00 for the bus service or walk back to Aguas Calientes which takes about an hour.
• Sleeping bag (if you don’t have one, there is a possibility of renting one).
• Backpack with rain shelter.
• Sleeping bag.
• Clothing for warm and cold climate like a waterproof jacket.
• Rain pants and lightweight pants.
• Trekking shoes.
• Slippers or sandals (for showers and Hot Springs).
• Wool or synthetic socks and a sweater.
• Long- and short-sleeved polo’s/T-Shirts.
• Rain poncho and a hat.
• Bathing suit (for the Hot Springs in Aguas Calientes).
• Sunscreen, insect repellent, disinfecting alcohol and gel, water bottle and sterilizing tablets, Toiletries and toilet paper.
• Camera (wrapped in plastic bag).
Contact us Today